The Chinese DDOS (distributed denial of service) attacks have targeted information websites and the country’s financial payments system. DDOS attacks are malicious attempts to overwhelm a network by flooding it with artificially created internet traffic. A variety of targets were zeroed in on, amid growing tensions over border disputes in the Kashmir region.
At least 20 Indian soldiers have died in a clash with Chinese troops in Ladakh.
Now, China has launched cyber attacks on a number of targets in India, including government websites and the banking system including ATMs.
The past two days has seen a surge in attacks coming directly from China.
Most of the attacks were traced back to the central Chinese city of Chengdu.
China has opened another front against India
An Indian army convoy moves along the Srinagar-Leh National highway
The capital of Sichuan province, Chengdu is known for being the headquarters of the People’s Liberation Army’s Unit 61398, the Chinese military’s primary covert cyberwarfare section.
The attacks began on Tuesday and continued through Wednesday, according to reports from sources aware of the developments, but they largely proved unsuccessful.
Chengdu is also home to a large number of hacker groups, many of whom are hired by Chinese government agencies to provide a cover for their operations.
New Delhi: India on Thursday rubbished the Chinese military’s claim of sovereignty over the Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh, at the heart of a border stand-off.
Indian army convoy moves along the Srinagar-Leh National highway towards Ladakh
They said such “untenable claims” go against an understanding between the senior military commanders reached on June 6 to de-escalate and disengage along the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
Galwan Valley was the scene of what Indian officials have described as a “violent face-off” on Monday night that resulted in the death of 20 Indian soldiers, including a colonel.
Dozens more were injured and there are reports of some Indian soldiers still being unaccounted for.
After the clash, a statement in Mandarin issued by the western command of China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) on Tuesday had said: “The sovereignty of the Galwan River Valley has always been ours.”
Brussels targets China and US in new crackdown to protect EU firms [SPOTLIGHT]
FBI arrest PLA major accused of stealing medical research [FOCUS]
US lashes out at 'corporate kowtows' cosying up to 'bully' China[ANALYSIS]
The past two days has seen a surge in attacks coming directly from China
A variety of targets were zeroed in on, amid growing tensions over border disputes in the Kashmir region
In a statement issued at about 1 am on Thursday, external affairs minister spokesperson Anurag Srivastava rejected the Chinese side’s claim that the sovereignty of Galwan Valley “belongs to China”.
Srivastava pointed to the agreement reached at a meeting of senior military commanders on June 6 for de-escalation and disengagement along the LAC.
He said: “Making exaggerated and untenable claims is contrary to this understanding.”
Indian forces have been placed on highest alert after the standoff.
Indian officials have said that the countries armed forces are in the highest state of readiness, with local military commanders being told to be ready for any eventuality.
It was reported earlier that Army units had been moved forward to the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the three sectors of the Sino-Indian border in May.
The Indian Air Force has also already moved certain assets to its operational bases.
The navy has been asked to intensify it’s presence in the Indian Ocean.
At least 20 Indian soldiers have died in a clash with Chinese troops in Ladakh
Sources told the Times Of India that the decision to raise the alert level was taken at a high level meeting.
Reportedly present was Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, along with Chief of Defence Staff Gen. Bipin Rawat and the three services chiefs.
A phone call between Indian Minister of External Affairs Subrahmanyam Jaishankar and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi also took place, with the key talking point being that the overall situation should be handled in a responsible manner and neither side should escalate matters.
Both countries have also agreed to implement the disengagement understanding reached on the June 6 meeting of Corps Commanders at the Chushul-Moldo border point.